Parliamentary Accountability Summit Kick-Off Event During the 146th Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) General Assembly
Location: Restaurant located in the Economic Area, Exhibition World Bahrain
Monday, 13 March 2023, Manama, Bahrain
Time: 13.00 to 14.30 GST
Organiser: CVF GPG
Format: In person event, by invitation only
Language: The event will be conducted in English
ABOUT THIS EVENT
The Chairperson of the Climate Vulnerable Forum Global Parliamentary Group will convene a luncheon for Parliamentarians during the 146th Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) General Assembly. This event will serve as the Kick-Off for the Parliamentary Accountability Summit, which is scheduled to take place during COP28. The luncheon will be held on March 13, 2023, from 1:00 PM to 2:30 PM Gulf Standard Time at the Restaurant located in the Economic Area, Exhibition World Bahrain in Manama, Bahrain.
The upcoming session aims to provide insights into the Parliamentary Accountability Summit, with the goal of creating an effective platform for parliamentarians to promote greater accountability in achieving the commitments to limit temperature increases to 1.5°C, to ensure the implementation of the Sendai Framework to reduce existing risks and prevent the creation of new ones and to furthermore, enhance the scaling-up of adequate climate finance by building upon the shortcomings of the USD 100 billion promise.
The objective of the event includes offering a platform for legislators to have a diversified discussion on the inherent function of parliaments to ensure accountability of the policy choices and decisions that impact their constituents.
The luncheon has been organized with the aim of promoting constructive discussions among Parliamentarians that will help to advance the objectives of the Parliamentary Accountability Summit. The following guiding questions have been provided for Parliamentarians to reflect on during the luncheon:
- Are you aware of whether your country’s Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) are aligned with the 1.5°C goal?
- To what extent is your Parliament involved in the NDC process, including formulation, approval, and oversight?
- How can we effectively ensure that NDCs align with the 1.5°C target, especially in countries that are off-track according to the Traffic Light Assessment Report of the Climate Vulnerable Forum?
- How can Parliamentarians contribute to the effective implementation of the Sendai Framework, and what are some successful examples of legislative, oversight, budget-making, and representational functions for disaster risk reduction (DRR) that can be shared?
- In what ways can Parliamentarians play a role in ensuring the enhancement and scaling-up of adequate climate finance, particularly in light of the shortcomings of the USD 100 billion promise?
- What specific actions are Parliamentarians advocating for to mitigate the impacts of climate change in the future, and how can they use their platform to promote awareness and action on this issue?
- Date: 13 March 2023
- Time: 13.00 to 14.30 GST
- Venue: Restaurant located in the Economic Area, Exhibition World Bahrain
- Organiser: CVF GPG
- Format: In person event, by invitation only
- Language: The event will be conducted in English