CVF Regional Consultation – Africa & Middle East (16 May 2023, 11 am – 12:30 pm UTC)
CVF Africa and Middle East Regional Consultation 2023
Date: Tuesday, 16 May 2023
Time: 11:00 am to 12:30 pm UTC
The impacts of climate change threaten societies, economies, and ecosystems with varying magnitude and intensity, and it is the poorest and the most marginalized communities that suffer the most. The world’s most vulnerable countries need to be better equipped with strong institutions and context-specific resilience solutions to drive their own climate action. In this context, the Climate Vulnerable Forum (CVF) is organizing a series of virtual Regional consultations on 16 and 17 May 2023, for the regions of Africa and the Middle East, Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC), the Pacific, and Asia. The specific date and time for each meeting will be announced in a separate program note.
- Main objective: To establish the key perspectives and priorities of the CVF members for each region, with a view to have a clear picture of the common interests of the whole Forum.
- Participation: Member States from each region and selected observer States.
- Level: Senior Officials at expert level. This includes CVF national focal points and/or government officials responsible for multilateral climate change cooperation and/or policy implementation (including adaptation, mitigation, and loss & damage).
- Format: 90 minutes virtual meeting held on the Zoom platform (video conference software). More information on how to use Zoom can be found at the end of this document.
- Language: All documents will be shared in English, French, and Spanish. The CVF Regional Consultations will take place in English. Participants who speak only French or Spanish may send their inputs to the CVF Secretariat in advance by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or during the meeting on the Zoom chat.
- Dress Code: Experts may kindly note that business casual attire is expected.
The CVF Regional Consultations are by invitation only. National focal points and government officials were contacted by the CVF Secretariat to confirm their participation in the respective meeting and to nominate their advisers. Active observer States and key partners were also contacted to confirm their participation.
The aim of these events is to consult with each CVF region and discuss the Forum’s priorities and activities for the 28th Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC COP28), and beyond. The outcomes of the regional consultations will be considered at the Senior Officials’ Meeting to formulate the “CVF Leaders’ Communiqué” which is expected to be adopted at the Forum’s High-Level Meeting. These discussions will hopefully create momentum and awareness around the CVF agenda in the run up to COP28. More information on the upcoming events will be shared in due course.
For more information, kindly contact the CVF Secretariat (email@example.com) or Ms. Selamawit Wubet, CVF Workstream Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org or +49 176 2784 35 01).